Thales e-Security, a leading global security company, recently acquired a smaller company called Vormetric. After acquisition, Thales eSecurity were in need of a new website experience that accurately showcased both of Thales e-Security and Vormetric's offerings. During my time at WebEnertia, I worked as the lead UI/UX designer on a 3 month project to redesign Thales eSecurity's new website back in 2016. My team included working with a product manager and 3 Thales eSecurity Stakeholders.
designed a new website experience with improved user experience, making browsing through the website more intuitive, and increased leads to product and solution pages.
With direct communication with Thales eSecurity stakeholders, we successfully balanced business and user needs of the website.
I successfully redesigned 35 templates and was well received by the whole Thales eSecurity team.
User Interviews and findings
My goal was to understand what content and experience both end users were expecting on the new website and it was a necessary starting point in my research. Through my interviews, I found:
- Thales eSecurity users did not know what Thales e-Security actually provides due so much content on the page
- Website content was hard to focus
- Users didn’t know were what to do on certain pages in the products and solution categories
what needed to be done on the new website
- Trim down and make content easily digestible
- Focus on improving structure of 'products' and 'solution' sister pages since they are the main drives for their business
- Refine user flows from page to page in these sections
- Improve navigation architecture
Next step in my process, because I'm a very visual person, I wanted to put a face on the data we collected. Meet Matthew, Gary, Devin, Debbie, and Hector. These personas helped me shape the user flows that were needed to make this website a fully personalized experience for each user.
restructuring the Information Architecture via card sorting
Due to the fact that both Thales eSecurity and Vormetric contained a vast amount of information, some categories and corresponding content being similar and some being completely different, I concluded that a newly structured navigation architecture and user flow was required before continuing onto any other design.
My approach for this was utilizing a card sorting method, focusing on grouping existing pages that were closely related to be placed under the same category and suggested taking outdated and unrelated pages either out or combining it with another page.
My main focus was to redesign the navigation so users could easily navigate through the website on a high level and a in-depth level.
ideation and getting validation
I was tasked to create the full website which consisted of designing 35 templates. Since I was unable to do usability testing with real Thales eSecurity customers, my wireframes were validated through a series of in-house usability testing with the Thales eSecurity team and other in-house designers unrelated to the project. Each usability test was conducted via in-person or conference calls where I gave a walk through of the designs and listened for feedback.
My validation to proceed to next steps was based off their positive reactions which gave me the approval to move onto the next design. This validation process was utilized in every step of this project.
annotated wireframes i showed for discussion
Visual design and development
- Since Thales eSecurity's new IA included three levels of hierarchy, I designed a multi-layer drop down navigation and utilized visual cues to help users know where they are in the navigation.
New product and solution pages that were easier to navigate through
- I utilized best user experience practices and current design trends to figure out what was the industry standard to provide information in the a way that balances both content depth and visual organization. Consistent card design, tabbed naivgation, and accordian styles were all utilized across various pages.
A new way to search
- A new search filter experience was created to supplement Thales eSecurity's many resource options.
- The goal was to provide users with freedom to choose which resource they want to see as well as not overwhelming users with too many choices. Filtering out by content type was the best option because it provides both a high level search and enough depth to view the differences in types of resources.
Making it interactive
- A "Select a Region" feature was created, the goal for this section was to create a fun and fully interactive experience let users navigate between Thales eSecurity's many locations throughout different regions.
NEXT STEPS AND Key Learnings:
I worked on this project at my time with a digital agency and after design hand off, I was not able to see the success metrics to see how well the launch did.
However, the project was overall well received by the client.
Looking back, here are some of the key things I learned from this project:
- Going into a project with limitations, it was important for me to be fluid and adapt to different methods to approach this project. For example, we were not able to conduct a usability test via prototypes on real users so I took initiative and created thorough wireframe presentations and conducted in-house usability testing.
- Creating a website with a wide variety of needs and goals, it's really important to develop an deep understanding of the both user's goals, which included Thales eSecurity website users as well as Thales eSecurity stakeholders. Combining user and business goals was important for the success of this project. Having a complete understanding of everyone's needs helped me craft the user flow of each page into a overall intuitive experience.